Wednesday, June 6, 2012

WHFB Battle Report - 2500 - Orcs & Goblins vs Beastmen

Last night I met up at my local GW to play one of the other regulars, Sean, and his Beastmen army. Sean's Beastmen have come a LONG way. I swear not 2 months ago his army was mostly grey and primed black and now i'd say its 90% painted, based and magnetized. It's shaping up to be a really nice force for sure.

In all honesty, I feel a little bad for my Orcs & Goblins. I haven't really touched them in about 6-7 months. This is probably why they betrayed me so horribly. What can I say?! My 40k Orks need love too!




My list consisted of the following...

  • Grimgor Ironhide
    • 30 Immortalz - Warbanner
  • lvl 3 SO Great Shaman - Shrunken Head, Crown of Command, Shrieking Blade
    • 30 SO Big'Uns - XHW
  • Lvl 2 NG Shaman - Dispel Scroll
    • NG Big Boss BSB - Bad Moon Banner
    • 30 NG Spearmen - Nets, 3 fanatics
  • Arachnarok
  • Goblin Wolf Chariot
  • Doom Diver
  • Rock Lobba
  • Mangler Squig
Sean's list (more or less)

Beastlord with a +1 armor save and a 5+ ward and some other sneaky stuff
Moonclaw (shadow)
Lvl 4 bray Shaman (shadow)
BSB
30 Bestigor - FC
30 Gor - FC
30 Gor - FC
10 Ungor Archers
2 Tuskgor Chariots
5 Harpies
5 Harpies
Ghorgon

I'll update with specifics later once I get a hold of him. I just can't remember everything right now.
-----------------------------------------------

Game Type: Meeting Engagement
Terrain: Crazy stuff (update later)


Deployment: The Metal Tin in the middle grants every unit within 6" +1 to wound in close combat while the gate on the far right grants all units within 6" Frenzy. The Crater on the left deducts -1 Ld from every unit within 6" and the giant Wall is just a giant ass wall that I paced to be a jerk :P ...don't worry, I get mine...
Deployment

Beastmen - Turn 1
Beastmen move up but fail charges from the Ghorgon to Spider and center Gor unit into the Night Goblins. Center Gor unit ended up exactly 8 inches from Night Goblins and released the fanatics. 2 Fanatics rip through the center unit taking 5 Gor with them while the 3rd Fanatic takes 2 wounds off the Ghorgon.

Sean wraps my chariot with harpies with the lower unit of harpies eyeing my Warmachines and the ungor archers on the left are advancing onto my Mangler Squig. FML.
Beastmen turn 1



O&G - Turn 1
My Savage Orcs fail their charge into the Ghorgon by 1" but the Spider and Immortalz get in there just fine.  Unfortunately my Spider under performs and kills and only 6 or 7 after thunderstomps. Beastmen throw 2 unsaved wounds on the spider and are steadfast for the hold.

On the right my Wolf Chariot plows into the harpies inflicting a whopping 2 wounds! ....sigh.  Initiative kills the chariot with 3 unsaved wounds. Harpies do a happy dance despite my sorrows.

Just below, my Rock lobba misfired and cannot shoot this turn or the next. Here is where it get's really horrible. My Mangler Squig runs through the ungor archers on the left in hopes of sending them to their early graves. I manage to kill two...yes...TWO Ungors with a mangler squig and they don't panic. I frantically try to finish them off with my Doom Diver to which I cause 3 wounds and cause an unfortunate panic which sends them away from the diver BACK into the Mangler Squig causing 3D6 S6 hits and killing both the Ungors and the Mangler....sob.

My plan was tricky, but if I managed to pull it off, i'd look like a genius. You see that 30 man Gor unit on the far left? They are stuck in a posion thicket. Anytime they move, they take dangerous terrain. My plan was to finish those pesky Ungor off and get my Mangler into that unit. Ideally this would take a nice hand full of guys out (or more) combined with a doom diver blast causing them to panic and move BACK through the forest. Oh well...

The Immortalz do what they do and murder the crap out of the Bestigor but are unable to catch them on the rundown.

Did I mention my magic phase was completely shut down?
O&G Turn 1



Beastmen - Turn 2
Beastmen turn 2 just puts the nail in the coffin. His Ghorgon flanks my spider who, again, underperforms and gets wasted despite getting a successful Venom Surge assassination on his BSB (moral victory?), while the Gor unit on the far left flank charge my Savage Orcs. Savage Orcs lose combat by 2 but are stubborn and hold.

The Bestigors rally and glare Grimgor and the Immortalz in the eye while one unit of harpies has their way with my doom diver. However, Moonclaw causes the other harpy unit to suffer stupidity and they fly a whopping 1 inch.

Beastmen Turn 2

O&G - Turn 2
The picture was so blurry that it's not worth posting. 

Long story short, my Savage Orcs were whittled down to like 5 or 6 vs. 22ish, I deleted the Bestigor with The Immortalz and my night goblins were staring at a beefed up Ghorgon and Gor unit.

Did I mention my magic phase was shut down again?


After this we called it a day. A resounding victory for the Beastmen and a tragic loss for the Orcs and Goblins.

It's not very often I lose on the turn of a dime. I can usually tell by the end of turn one what general direction the game is going. In all honesty, I could tell by deployment that I had this game won...and so did my opponent.  All in all, my dice betrayed me. Between failed charges, failing to hit anything and non existent magic phases this was a beating if I've ever had one.

Oh well, time to rack'em back up and wait for my next opponent!

WAAAAAAAAAGH! :(


No comments:

Post a Comment